1. Do completely away with plastic and paper grocery/shopping bags and use only my cloth/resuable ones. I am sometimes lazy if I forget mine in the car. The number of plastic grocery bags sitting in landfills is staggering and horrifying. SAVE A BAG!
2. Start a compost pile of some sort. Right now, I think a bin is more realistic for me/us, and I don’t want to attract more critters. So I’m looking on line and trying to educate myself. Would love to be able to put all of our kitchen waste (i.e. coffee grounds, banana peels, apple cores, corn cobs, etc. somewhere where they can break down naturally and become fertilizer instead of sitting in a landfill).
3. Find new uses for old things. Make gifts instead of buying them. Really think about each thing I buy BEFORE I buy it and ask myself, “Do we really need this?”
4. Buy organic and local. Shop at Whole Foods. Go to my local farmer’s market on weekends with the girls and teach them about the importance of these things. Let them taste the fresh fruits and veggies.
5. Go to synagogue more often. Bring the kids when we’re able.
6. When spring is really here, walk to the grocery store with the girls in the stroller and save gas/energy and get myself some excercise and fresh air.
7. Go on-line to catalogchoice.org and stop all the junk mail/catalogs.
8. Switch a lot of my bills to on-line payment to save paper and stamps.
9. Buy some cute cloth napkins for every day use and stop using paper ones.
10. Get more rags or convert old t-shirts to rags and quit using mostly paper towels for cleaning.
11. Use environmentally-friendly cleansers, detergents, and handsoap (I like Method products for cleaning and Wintree for laundry).
12. Bring my own coffee mug when I reward myself with a trip to Starbucks.
13. Start my own really successful business.
14. Own an electric car.
15. Stop eating/craving sweet stuff.
16. Be an amazing mother.
17. Take a Judaism course with my rabbi and learn all the things I wish I’d learned as a child.
18. Stop being afraid of flying.
19. Learn to apply makeup so that it compliments my face.
20. Learn to dress so that clothing flatters my figure.
21. Stop being so critical and enjoy the little things more.